3.29.2012

A shelf for everything, and everything on its shelf

So, this blog post is not a Jonah post. I know, I know; he is what everybody comes here for. However, I thought it might be good to show off what well-rounded individuals Eric and I are by sometimes highlighting our non-Jonah-related interests. One of the things I like to do that I haven't had a lot of time for in the past seven months is fixing up our house. Now that things are slowing down with the Jonah man and he can go longer than a couple of hours between feedings (and is napping!), I am able to pick back up with some projects.

First on the list was an overhaul of the built-in book shelves in our den downstairs. I wish I had a before picture of them packed with all of our disorganized book mayhem but, alas, I didn't remember to take a picture until I had unloaded everything. Regardless, for the last month or so, our den has looked like this.
 
After emptying the shelves and removing them from the bookcases, my kind husband took the time to sand the lacquer off of the backing wood, leaving me with this. Notice wonderful Eric helping with the taping.
The next step was a coat of zero VOC primer--I am trying to go eco-friendly with the home improvement projects, especially since Jonah's around--and paint seems to be the easiest change-up. Here's a picture of the shelves all primed and ready to paint.

Finally, I got to apply the color (Bleached Denim Behr Ultra--my favorite paint, by far) to the backs of the book cases and reload the shelves with our library. I did my best to put things back in a more orderly and attractive way but, let's face it, Eric and my shelves are never going to look like those on design shows. We just have way too many books. I did my best, though. I am pretty pleased with the result.

A mini-project for sometime in the future is to cover my lovely magazine holders (which I was graciously gifted by the counseling office at work) with craft paper or paint. As much as I enjoy that my collection of Real Simple is labeled "Armed Forces," and so on, that's not exactly the look I'm going for. That is a project for another day, though. Maybe next nap time. We'll see.

5 comments:

his little Lady said...

what a great little project. i just love bookshelves. this is just perfect, even down to the little globe. ;)
xo TJ

Mel & Eric said...

Thanks so much! Such an easy project, but it made a big difference.

the lovebirds said...

you should be pleased! it turned out more than perfect. I love clustered bookshelves that are packed with books. xo

A "cheery" disposition said...

looks good and yay for being eco friendly! I try to be but I'm not the best at it.

Mel & Eric said...

Cheery, we have switched over little by little. I kind of go crazy once in a while and overhaul one area at a time (e.g., cleaning products, lawn care, etc.).