First on the list was an overhaul of the built-in book shelves in our den downstairs. I wish I had a before picture of them packed with all of our disorganized book mayhem but, alas, I didn't remember to take a picture until I had unloaded everything. Regardless, for the last month or so, our den has looked like this.
After emptying the shelves and removing them from the bookcases, my kind husband took the time to sand the lacquer off of the backing wood, leaving me with this. Notice wonderful Eric helping with the taping.
The next step was a coat of zero VOC primer--I am trying to go eco-friendly with the home improvement projects, especially since Jonah's around--and paint seems to be the easiest change-up. Here's a picture of the shelves all primed and ready to paint.
Finally, I got to apply the color (Bleached Denim Behr Ultra--my favorite paint, by far) to the backs of the book cases and reload the shelves with our library. I did my best to put things back in a more orderly and attractive way but, let's face it, Eric and my shelves are never going to look like those on design shows. We just have way too many books. I did my best, though. I am pretty pleased with the result.
A mini-project for sometime in the future is to cover my lovely magazine holders (which I was graciously gifted by the counseling office at work) with craft paper or paint. As much as I enjoy that my collection of Real Simple is labeled "Armed Forces," and so on, that's not exactly the look I'm going for. That is a project for another day, though. Maybe next nap time. We'll see.