9.10.2011

A trip, an escape from the jaws of death, and more cuteness

I was going to name this entry “better late than never,” but I want to save that title for when I have really been slacking on the blog. To make up for it, we have pictures, lots and lots of pictures, especially for those of you who have not been subject to Jonah’s never ending barrage of cuteness.
Jonah’s had a busy few weeks including his first road trip and, as the title suggests, a terrifying escape from danger, but we’ll get to that. Despite his busy schedule of eating and sleeping, Jonah’s been fitting in some serious time being held by loved ones. Jonah’s also been bathing and giving an initial run at nursing from a bottle. Despite my poor technique, Jonah did great, which will help the transition once Melanie eventually goes back to work and pumps. Jonah’s even hitting up the balance ball to strengthen hit back. (Don’t worry Uncle Dan, we’ll balance it out by working his chest and triceps over the next few weeks.)
Jonah took his first big road trip when we rolled up to Nana and Grandpa M’s house in Encampment, Wyoming for the Labor Day weekend. Jonah’s a great traveler, provided you stop every few hours to wake him up from his travel coma for some milk.
The trip went well until we were 15 miles or so from home driving through Loveland. We were traveling on a two lane road where the speed limit is about 40 mph. A car two cars ahead of us slowed and stopped to turn left onto a small side road. We stopped. Melanie shouted “Oh my god he’s going to hit us.” I didn’t know what she was talking about at the time and I looked up to the rear view mirror and saw the grill of a pickup truck. “Oh,” I thought. A split second later a Dodge Ram pulling a large fifth wheel trailer drilled us at a pretty good clip. Our car was also pushed into the car in front of us. Melanie and I lept out of the car for Jonah, who (as we would later learn), was safe and sound in his car seat—though he was rudely woken up. Long story short, Jonah is perfectly fine, Melanie is fine, and I am fine. However, though we’re waiting on the word from several insurance companies, it looks like our noble Subaru is not going to make it.

As I’ve grown older, I’ve learned the truth in clichés. So, as clichéd as it may be, events like these really make you think and take stock. Moments between Melanie and Jonah never seemed more important.


Until next time, I’ll leave you with some pictures of Jonah I just couldn’t decide between.

No comments: