10.23.2008

OMG

So, while Eric was out of town on a mountain biking trip a couple of months ago, I watched Gossip Girl for the first time. I was all alone without a whole lot to do, so I thought I would check it out. Plus, I had heard a lot about it, since I work at a high school. My first impression was that it was incredibly silly. Those were the booziest, druggiest, sexiest high school kids I had ever seen with the largest vocabularies of all time. It was such a far cry from my high school experience and didn't even fit very well with the idea I get of high schoolers from the kids at the school where I work.

Nonetheless, I gave it another shot the following week. I even got Eric to watch it and we got a kick out of just how mean and scandalous the characters on the show were. Still thought it was silly, but we were entertained...

Fast forward six weeks and I am a full-blown Gossip Girl junkie and I am so ashamed! Not only am I watching this show that is so blatantly written for 16-year-olds every single week, but I am renting back seasons on Netflix. Last night, I watched four episodes from Season 1 on DVD in a row. I didn't work out. I didn't get off the couch to eat dinner. I just sat there for five hours watching Gossip Girl. It was pitiful!

What is it about these trashy shows that I find so appealing? It's very akin to the fact that I LOVE those ridiculous celebrity gossip magazines. I can't get enough of them. I consider myself a fairly level-headed person and I generally have good taste (in music, movies, food, etc.), but I can't tear myself away from these things! I know I need to cut myself some slack, that there's nothing wrong with guilty pleasures but, sometimes, I take a look at myself, watching Gossip Girl, and wonder who kidnapped my old jaded, too-cool for pop culture self. So shameful. But so fun at the same time...

2 comments:

Alexis said...

I just recently started watching Gossip Girl, and I too am ADDICTED! You'll have to let me know how season one is. :) We can be gossip girl junkies together (as pathetic as it may be!)

Melanie said...

I'll have to admit it, Season 1 is pretty good. Not as scandalous as the current season, but I'm into it. Thanks for being my GG buddy...