10.27.2008

Holy Election Season, Batman!

So, for those of you who know me -- and I'm guessing that's most of you or you wouldn't find this blog interesting AT ALL -- you know that I'm a crazy democrat. I've always been a dem, I'm proud to be a dem, and, with friends, I'm more than happy to engage in lively political debate.

However, and this is a big however, I am not into discussing my political views at work in front of kids. It just seems very inappropriate to me for several reasons:

1. Me touting my views at school might cause friction with students and parents if their not in alignment with their political standing,
2. I believe kids need to make up their own minds about their political affiliations, and I don't feel like it's my place to influence them, and
3. It's too personal of an issue to disclose to clients.

Somehow, though, I've become the figurehead for the democratic party within our special education department here and am frequently put on the spot or goaded into debates (okay, arguments), both out of the earshot of kids and within earshot. It's all in good fun and I'm not angry about it, but I don't feel like it's entirely appropriate.

I have no idea if other teachers, especially social studies teachers who need to talk about politics in class, feel like same way, or if it's totally normal to espouse your personal political beliefs when you're in the field of education. I feel conflicted about the whole thing and am wondering what other people think about it. Am I way too conservative to think I shouldn't talk politics at work?

No comments: